Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Put A Little Gravel In Your Travel!

Often I hear people say living in Union is great because of how easy of a day trip it is to St. Louis. I am a bit different in that I feel living in Union is great because how easy it is for a day trip to MANY beautiful areas of Missouri that don't necessarily fit "city" mode.
Water Shoes, Minnow/Critter Catching Net, and
cool clear water - THANK YOU MISSOURI! :)
Just 35 miles away is Blue Springs Creek Conservation Area. Hop down I-44 to Bourbon then hit N - beautiful cool clear waters await you. 98 degress out? Who cares!?!?! Sit and chill in the waters, watch your kiddo catch crawdads or find fossils. It's just a wonderful experience.
Crawdad Time! June 2013 at Blue Springs Creek.
Recently I decided to explore another spot. Just 10 miles further (45 miles from Union) is Huzzah Conservation Area. Go on I-44, Onodoga Exit  - go past the park, cross the Meramec, and put a little gravel in your travel to find this gem! Water may not be as chilly as Blue Springs, but it's wider and still can trick your brain into realizing that it's not in the 90's... nature's airconditioning at its best!
Huzzah Conservation Area - July 2013 Cliffs to the right and
woods/creek to the left. Lovely road just like out
of a fairy tale or novel... and right here in Missouri.
Don't get me wrong, St. Louis has great things for day trips, but just as close are two amazing places to create some great memories with family. Some of my fondest memories growing up in the Ozarks are of the Big Piney River and of Paddy Creek in the Mark Twain National Forest.
I call myself the "creek-side gourmet" - she says it's not
"fancy at all" - but she eats and and enjoys it regardless!
Huzzah Creek bank July 2013.
I want my kiddo to have similar experiences and not spend EVERY DAY of Summer break sitting in front of the television. It's amazing how sometimes just an afternoon away and OUTSIDE can improve attitudes and spirits.

More information about Huzzah Conservation Area: ttp://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/Applications/MOATLAS/AreaSummaryPage.aspx?txtAreaID=5702
and about Blue Springs Creek Conservation Area: http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/applications/moatlas/AreaSummaryPage.aspx?txtAreaID=8405

For more information about my photography see my webpage: http://mkdesignsphoto.weebly.com/
and you can visit my blog at: http://mkdesignsphoto.blogspot.com/

Until next time, ~ michelle of Experience Union :)

6 comments:

  1. We love those places!! We also like Ozark Outdoors....I'm glad you are enjoying your summer and making memories with your family that will last a lifetime!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. St Louis is good for shopping, sports or entertainment, but if you want a true good time you head west or south. Johnson Shut Ins is my family's favorite day trip destination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a huge fan of that area, Elephant Rocks is great too!

      Delete
  3. My favorite so far has been Montauk. Float the 10 miles on the Current River. You will love jumping in the cool spring fed water. Kids and adults love the camp ground and floating. Don't forget the awesome fishing! Famous for their Trout. :-) Plus side is the free showers and the bathrooms that are very clean! They have conservation employees that teach you about nature in the ampitheatre. When we were there we got to see snakes up close. Also enjoy ice cream or a good meal in the lodge. Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes montauk is awesome! :) it's been a long time (well a year or so) since I have been there, I need to go back! ((michelle))

      Delete